Softcheck searches for publicly available negative information potentially associated with a candidate.
Softcheck is NOT a criminal record search, but instead a search of public criminal court records and decisions, negative press results, social profiles, public biographies, international watchlists, etc., that MAY indicate undesirable behavioural patterns.
SoftCheck searches for numerous "themes" including:
- Crimes against a person (domestic, elder, or child abuse; assault or battery; kidnapping, abduction, or held against will; murder or manslaughter (committed); robbery; sexual crimes, sexual abuse, pedophilia, rape, sodomy; human trafficking, organ trafficking; terrorism; obscenity-related pornography, child pornography)
- Crimes against property (arson; burglary; counterfeiting or forgery; copyright infringement; trespassing; possession of stolen property; theft, larceny, misappropriation, embezzlement, extortion)
- Inchoate crimes (conspiracy, planned or attempted crimes)
- Statutory crimes (drug trafficking or drug distribution; DUI or DWI; possession of drugs or drug paraphernalia; public intoxication; lewdness)
- Financial and other crimes (antitrust crimes; price-fixing; bankruptcy fraud; fraud, scams, or swindles; political corruption, bribery, grafting, and/or kickbacks; computer-related/cyber crime; environmental crimes like poaching, illegal logging, animal cruelty; Foreign Agent Registration Act (FARA) violations; possession/sale of guns, weapons, and/or explosives; identity theft and/or impersonation; illegal prostitution and/or promoting illegal prostitution; human rights, genocide, and/or war crimes; fugitive, escapee; illegal gambling; loan sharking, usury, predatory lending; mortgage fraud; money laundering; organized crime and/or racketeering; Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) violations like insider trading, securities fraud etc.; smuggling; espionage, spying, and/or treason; tax-crimes)
- Other potentially problematic indicators (audits; default risk; financial condition risk; performance risk; restructuring, reorganization, and/or divestiture risk; undergoing regulatory action; professional violations/misconduct and/or revoked licence or registration within areas of health care, money service businesses, real estate; presence on banned director's lists; presence on global sanctions lists and watchlists (e.g. Iran Connect or Sanctions Connect watchlists, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) Entity List, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) lists etc.); potential to cause conflict of interest (e.g. politically exposed persons); legalized marijuana dispensaries; forfeitures.
Note: Each finding that Softcheck returns should be carefully reviewed and considered. For example, a bankruptcy filing may be returned by Softcheck, which should not necessarily raise any concerns about the candidate. However, numerous bankruptcy filings may be indicative of bankruptcy abuse and fraud. Similarly, audits can be triggered as a result of an honest mistake, or by intentional questionable business practices.